Monday, March 17, 2008

Éire go Brách!

Dear Margaret,

On this day of Patrick the Saint, allow me to take the opportunity to say that I heart Maureen O'Hara .




She's beautiful, was born in Ireland and has THE BEST hair color. In case you're wondering where you've seen her, she's the Mom on the original Parent Trap. She looks like a pretty pretty princess in this picture and it makes me happy. I've been thinking a lot about Ireland lately, as we're planning a trip for September. Before we started our research, most of what I'd known about the country was based on Lucky Charms commercials and Darby O'Gill and the Little People, so I'm not all that educated. I’m getting better, though. I just watched a whole hour on the History Channel about the history of St. Patrick’s Day and everyone knows the History Channel makes you smart.

So I've been working diligently on Gustavo's scarf, which is long and very hairy. I made it in Berroco Ultra Alpaca, which is a 50/50 wool/alpaca blend. It's my first alpaca experience and I'm a little annoyed with the shedding issue.



It seems like it will be warm though, which is important since Gustavo is originally from Argentina, moved to Calfornia and now lives in Massachusetts. It like, snows there and stuff. I used the Yarn Harlot's pattern for the One Row Handspun Scarf. It's good because it's not too girly and looks impressive, even though it's super easy.



He'd requested black yarn, but I just couldn't do SOLID black - so I chose a nice charcoal instead. I think it looks quite nice. Especially with the track jacket on this attractive model.



I have some leftover yarn, so I'm making him a pair of fingerless mitts to go with. I'm using the pattern in the book you gave me for Christmas last year (or was it my birthday? so hard to keep track). I may have to modify it a bit as I go along - so far I've only done the ribbing for the cuff.

Dude, speaking of cupcakes I had a brilliant idea the other day. Someday when we live in a place with more than one bedroom AND we have a daughter - I am totally decorating her room in cupcakes and/or baked goods. So cute! Little knitted cupcakes everywhere. Or maybe like a French Provincial theme? Knitted baguettes and berets! I have a vision, and it is lovely.

We'll bake with the butterfly cupcake thing for the baby shower, okay?

1 comment:

Eadie said...

Wow, that IS an attractive model :)

Nice blog - you brought the whole knitting & computer combo to a whole new level!! How do you have time for it all??