Sunday, February 24, 2008

This one goes out to the fans . . .

Dear Anna,

I covet your Monkey socks! And I am reminded of my Monkeys that sit languishing in my frog pile. Maybe I'll pull those out again this week. Big sigh.

Anyway. I thought you might want to see my new poncho! I did not knit this . . . my mom did. A few years ago when I was just picking up my needles I had made a comment in passing to her that I thought that the Villa pattern from Knitty.com (Ravelry Link) was cute. In my defense, it was an innocent statement about a garment that seemed whimsical yet comfortable - mostly I think I just liked the picture of the girl, I don't think anyone can argue that she doesn't look cute. Anyway, my mom - God Bless - is not one to forget about things like this. I thought the Villa poncho was long forgotten until a few months ago when she told me she was knitting one for me. Now, you can't tell your mother - the woman who gave you LIFE for goodness sake- that she shouldn't knit you a poncho. Of course I was enthusiastic and told her that I couldn't wait! A few weeks ago I saw her and she gifted it to me . . .


(My over the top poncho . . . pun intended. . . har.

R helped me recreate the photo from Knitty - pretty good, right?!)

I have to be careful when I wear this that I also wear pants . . . or else it could look a little cave woman-ish as R so helpfully pointed out:


(Me as cave woman . . . possible Halloween costume this year?)

In the end, this poncho is probably not something I would venture out into public wearing but around the house it is amazingly warm! It's made out of some sort of mystery mohair but it is surprisingly not scratchy. Plus, I am always looking for ways to stay warm around here (read: no heater . . . RON). I guess the whole theory that a poncho is functional like a mitten, trapping body heat close to the body, is true. So, there you go.

I do have a FO to share:

These are my Lichen Ribbed Socks from Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush. It has a Welsh Heel and a Star Toe of Three Points. I used Noro Kureyon Sock yarn that I bought at the Needlecraft Cottage in Pacific Beach. I really liked this pattern and will definitely knit it again although I'll use a different toe . . . I prefer the toes that use grafting rather than the ones that require you to draw the tail yarn through the end to cinch it closed.

I have a mixed review of the yarn itself. The colors are gorgeous and I liked the fact that it had a hand spun quality with thick and thin spots . . . but I HATED all the flipping knots! Seriously, I had to pause every few rows to untangle the yarn. Plus, toward the end of the second sock there was a splice and the joined yarn wasn't consistent in color . . . but since I was at the toe it wasn't that noticeable. I made these socks "fraternal" - meaning that I didn't try to match up the stripes in the socks. . . I wanted to just go with it. Overall, I'm really pleased with these socks!

Before I sign off, I'd like to give a shout out to the fans. I think I can speak for both of us when I say YOU are the reason we blog about our knitting adventures - the highs the lows. Knitting is a lot like life in that way. . .

No comments: